What's that smell? Odor Removal in the Office
Did you know your sense of smell is the most powerful of them all? Well unless you are maybe gifted with a sixth sense that is. This can be both a blessing and a curse. For instance, walking into mom's house while she's baking cookies or cooking your favorite dinner, your mood may genuinely lift and you will be glad you possess the power of scent. On the other hand, if you walk into your office for an 8 hour day at the desk, and you are assaulted with a horrible sense that you can’t imagine being stuck in for 10 seconds let alone for hours, and you may start feeling edgy and crabby.
Odor can be difficult to both pinpoint and eliminate for good. While you may be able to cover it up, or air out the air, finding the source usually will require equipment and training. Odors can come from inside or outside, they can travel through vents, and have a source nowhere near where you believe it to be.
Tips to Eliminate Stubborn Odors
- Clear the Air. Allowing a regular stream of air through enclosed spaces is the first step in getting rid of bad smells.
- Open a window if possible to help.
- If unable to open windows, implement HEPA filtered HVAC filters in kitchens, restrooms, and common areas as needed
- In the Kitchen, odors will normally originate from microwaves, refrigerators, and trash cans.
- Try a fresh lemon cut in half to freshen the air
- For refrigerators, place an open box of baking soda, or opened can of fresh coffee beans in the back of the refrigerator.
- White vinegar can help with stinky trash cans, garbage disposals, microwaves, and dishwashers. For trash cans, spray down and let sit for 5-10 mins before wiping out. For microwaves, place two parts vinegar and one part water in a microwave-safe container and turn on for a couple of minutes, using a microfiber cloth to wipe inside. Two cups of vinegar on full cycle for the dishwasher, or freeze into cubes and run in garbage disposal until they are gone.
- Watch out for:
- Old carpet and furniture.
- Animal Activity, as they could be taking care of business in areas you’d rather they didn’t.
- Workplace Placement. If possible ensure workspaces are not too close to kitchens, restrooms, and other common areas where offensive odors can occur.
Odor in the workplace can be a serious issue if they persist. You may not always be able to eliminate the odor at the source on your own. SERVPRO has the training, equipment, and products to successfully rid your office of unpleasant odors, they have access to several odor removal products capable of penetrating surfaces to neutralize an unpleasant odor thoroughly. If you are dealing with this unfortunate problem call 1-800-SERVPRO today and leave the smelly stuff to the pros.