Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire damage to your home or business in Portage County is horrific and we can help you get this restored as quickly as possible in an efficient manner. SERVPRO of Portage County has all the right tools, equipment, and staff to make sure it restored so you can get back to your normal life quickly. There are many fire damage emergency safety tips you can find listed below so you can ensure your safety while waiting for help. Always be extra careful, since there can be after shock problems of a fire. Only do activities when it is safe, always make sure to have a professional by your side.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (330) 677-4483
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.