Fire Safety: Unplug Household Appliances
With electric appliances being so common in modern homes, it's easy to forget that there are very real risks and hazards associated with their use and even non-use.
Being safe when using electrical appliances, extension cords, light bulbs and other equipment is easy. It only takes one mistake to spark an electrical fire, but simple prevention measures can be effective solutions.
These safety tips can help keep all appliances operating safely and help you prevent unexpected fires in the home:
- Ensure any appliances you purchase are approved by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or another reputable consumer laboratory.
- Unplug unused appliances and store cords safely out of reach of pets, young children or hazardous situations.
- Appliances that generate heat, such as clocks, televisions and computer monitors, should be given several inches of clearance all around for good air circulation and cooling.
- Do not attempt amateur repairs or upgrades.
- Keep all electric appliances away from water such as sinks, bathtubs, pools or overhead vents that may drip.
- Do not operate any electrical appliance with wet hands or while standing in water.
- Keep clothes, curtains toys and other potentially combustible materials away from radiators, space heaters, heating vents and other heat sources.
Source: Stephanie Sage of Sage Restoration
To read more on this subject, click here.