If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (330) 677-4483

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Five Things you Should Never Burn in your Outdoor Fire Pit

11/1/2021 (Permalink)

Though it may be fun or therapeutic to burn items in a fire, there are a few that should never be burned in a fire for your safety. Do not burn rubber, old paper, plastics, trash bags, or any sort of garbage in a fire. Many items that are processed can release toxic chemicals and pollute the air and create an unpleasant smell. This includes batteries and aerosol cans.

While it may be fun to burn a pizza box in the fire, this is all something that should never be burned in a fire.  Cardboard and paper boxes can create an abundance of smoldering ash that can spread to nearby trees, bushes, and houses. 

Poison Ivy or oak should never be burned in a fire. Poison Ivy isn't good for human skin, and it could be even worse for your lungs if ingested. To avoid burning poison ivy or oak, be sure to watch the type of vines that are wrapped around wood you are putting into a fire.

Lighter fluid or gasoline should also never be used to keep a fire going. It can be tempting or fun to see the temporarily big flame,  it can be very harmful to those around you. AS a precaution, this should never be used in a fire.

Other items to avoid are soft woods, food scraps, or yard clipping. Yard clippings should especially be avoided because they could trigger allergies to those around you. 

Lastly, if you are very unsure of what to be adding to a fire, stick to adding firewood as it is the safest option. Please contact your local fire department if you have more questions concerning a safe bonfire experience.

Other News

View Recent Posts