Nine Preparation Tips For a Businesses Disaster
Would your business be ready to handle a catastrophe? A disaster can hit at anytime, whether it’s for a natural disaster, a man-made hazard, or a large-scale utility disruption. That’s why preparation for a disaster is critical.
Here are tips for disaster preparation and recovery:
1. Make a plan: If you don’t have a plan for business disaster recovery, create one today. SERVPRO of Portage County can help you create this plan for no cost.
2. Involve all employees: Your workforce is your most valuable asset therefore it’s important to educate everyone in the planning, communication, and implementation of your Emergency Readiness Plan. You never know when the disaster can hit.
3. Promote communications: It is important to know who to contact for workforce, business partners, construction services, and insurance companies. Make sure that your contact lists are regularly updated.
4. Evacuation procedures: If you are forced to abandon your business, you will need an alternative location to carry on your business. Ensure that employees know the drill for evacuating your buildings, and identify a second site from which operations may resume.
5. Assess your business assets: You should conduct an audit of facilities and equipment to establish how they may be kept secure in the event of a disaster.
6. Backup essentials: Make sure to keep alternative supplies ready. Some of these items are essentials for power, communications, and first aid.
7. Organize cash flow: Figure out extra resources to handle unforeseen expenses. It is important to also determine which employees will have access to emergency funds.
8. Review your insurance: Does your policies cover areas such as fire and water damage? Discuss essential emergency information with your insurance agent.
9. Practice your plan: Do a few trial runs of your company’s emergency drills. You will want to rehearse and test your contingency plan regularly, and update it as needed.
None of us likes to contemplate the aftermath of a business disaster, but the truth is we also need to prepare for the worst; disaster can strike at anytime.
We know how devastating a business disaster can be, but we are here to help! Call SERVPRO of Portage County (330) 677-4483 to help get your business restored efficiently.