Avoid Bursted Pipes in The Winter Months
Winter is the time for frozen pipes and burst pipes. Frozen pipes can mean big problems for your home. As water freezes, it expands and can exert up to 2,000 pounds of pressure per square inch! This pressure can cause pipes to burst and water to flow into your home leaving tons of disaster problems for your home in Portage County.
In order to prevent frozen pipes in those areas, follow these tips:
- Drain water from hoses, water sprinklers, and other outdoor lines, before it is too late.
- On cold days, open cabinet doors to allow warm air to flow around pipes.
- Turn on the water taps slightly to allow a slow drip to run through the faucets.
- Make sure that there is insulation present in areas around pipes that are susceptible to cold weather.
- If you are leaving for vacation, don’t set the temperature any lower than 55°F.
Putting these tips into practice will significantly reduce your chances of having a pipe freeze in your home, and thereby, avoid the larger and much more costly and inconvenient problem of a pipe burst.
We know how devastating water damage can be, but we are here to help! Call SERVPRO of Portage County (330) 677-4483 to help get your home restored efficiently.